Friday, October 19, 2007

Our first doctor visit here

We go to the doctor today. I have an appointment adjacent to hers.

First, I need to figure out her medical insurance. She has Medicare, but also a supplemental policy. I am so clueless. She is becoming clueless (passive mental laziness or unavoidable age-related confusion? or a bit of both?). I am handling her bills, so I am feeling a bit overwhelmed. (eeks you should see my own pile of papers in my home office...)

Also, there is the whole matter of my sitting in on her doctor's appointment (she welcomes my being there, and I need to tell him about some matters that she may not bring up). But, I frankly don't want her to sit in on mine. The mantle of caregiver is now on my shoulders. And I don't want her to have ammunition to tell me about my weight, my borderline diabetes, my issues. Self-protection.

But you better believe I'll be at hers to make sure she stays healthy.

(I shudder as a re-read that last line. I do feel like, to a large extent, the responsibility for this woman's survival rests on my shoulders. Yikes.)

No comments: