Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Food hoarding and cleanliness

So, my mother is fed breakfast, lunch and dinner. She has select snack foods in her apartment. The home offers afternoon snacks.

I wonder how long it takes before she lets go of the habit of hoarding food? Do any of her generation ever lose that?

She is a child of the depression. Still, she keeps curdled milk, bananas that are rotten and spawning gnats, crackers that are completely crumbled.

The good news is that she has not had any of the explosive diarrhea incidents since moving here. I wonder how many of those incidents were related to bad food or unclean surfaces? Maybe she will be much relieved now of that disturbing problem.

I did some dishes last night, including washing a water glass in her bathroom that had come directly from her old apartment. After soaking it in dishsoap, I saw that there was a big layer/clot of ick at the bottom. I wonder how long it had been since washing it? How much of that (and the filth on poorly-washed dishes) also contributed to her 'incidents'. Her macular degeneration and general carelessness contributes to poor cleanliness. Maybe living here will help.

I hope so. We ALL hope so, believe me.

No comments: