Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Mom moves into "The Home"

My mother has been living in senior housing for five years now. She loved moving there. She had been a widow for ten years, living alone in a house a distance from her friends. When she finally moved to a senior apartment in her early 80s, she had a meal provided and friends all around. (Well, I'll talk more on that 'friends' thing later, I'm sure.)

But things started happening. She is now in her late 80's, diabetic, and was irregular in her meds and in other ways (again, I'm sure that theme will come up again). Time for Assisted Living. (We laughingly call it "The Home".)

We got her moved a week ago. I emptied the last box last night.

This blog will be a place where I talk about how this is going, and how it feels. I am mid-50s, and have had a rocky relationship with my parents for years (for good reason). I now find myself the primary caregiver, and I am having a curiously positive response. And all the other predictable responses (tired, annoyed, sad, and so on).

So, more later. I will breathe now.

PS - why pink as the theme color? I really dislike pink. But I set it as pink because she has found herself enamored of anything pink. Again, curious.

1 comment:

Nancy and Bill said...

FYI - I finally changed it from pink in 2010 and I'm so soooooo glad i did. It was just painful to use the pink. Shudder.