Sunday, October 21, 2007

Changing relationships... Part Two-Dot-Five

Well, I apologized to my sister. I let her know she is so valuable, treasured. My relationship with her is actually more important since it is more long-term that with our mother. I thanked her for teaching me how to get through this together and asked her to continue teaching me and communicating.

She replied with an apology too ... that it is her own grieving over a diminishing relationship. Not that I am reducing it, but that Mom's own disappearing ability (to play canasta, to write an email, to even think clearly) is making her less able to connect. (And she said it actually was nice to hear about Mom's day in full sentences and without the illegible errors, so I should continue typing on Mom's behalf if it's convenient.)

Is it Mom's mental laziness? or is old age 'breaking' something in ways that are now irreparable? How much control do we have over our ability fight the ravages of old age?

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.


No comments: