Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Tick, tock, tick tock (for two weeks...)

We got an estimated move-in date of two weeks from today, to give the previous resident a week to move out, and to give them a week to prepare the rooms.  Mom is just desperate to get out of where she is, so she can feel safe, welcomed, secure.

Every day, problems continue at her existing residence.  Today they admitted they have lost her beloved quilt. I can't even recount all the problems ... cold food, tasteless food, long wait times for call buttons, tripping hazards and safety issues, bare mattress for a half-day (when she was napping), lots of lost laundry. There is just an unending list of problems, some serious, some petty, and all chronic.

I honestly don't know how this place gets by with it.  I have complained at all levels - to individuals, to the unit nurse, to social work and nursing departments, and to the director of nursing.  I've been promised 'investigation', but have not received any further communication in response. There are still stupid errors and neglect that just keeps happening, even though they know I'm there every day and will complain.  So, I choose to not continue to complain - it is clear that their service will not improve further, and I don't want her to receive any repercussions or negative treatment in the next two weeks.

After she moves, I will have more to say, both to them and likely in some other more public forum, such as a web review.  I feel sad for residents that have no advocate, whose family just dumps them there and rarely visits.  They have no voice, no advocate, and surely suffer the same.  Or, maybe they're just used to neglect.  Sad.

But - woooo hoooooo - she will be truly in a 'home' soon.  Yes, they will make some errors, but surely not like it is now.  I am confident, I am hopeful.

No comments: