Thursday, February 17, 2011

The last straw

I have chronicled the deficits at this nursing home.  I have complained to the director of nursing.  I have complained to staff.  I have been pleasant but firm about providing my mother good care, but have continued to see problems in this place.  And tonight was the last straw. 

Fecal matter on her sheets.  

How long has it been there?  The nurse saw it and was horrified, and said that their schedule is to change sheets 'when she gets a shower'.  Since the nursing home only gives her a shower once a week (on Sundays), and hospice gives her a shower twice a week, it is presumable that this could have been there since Sunday.  

After she said that the sheets get changed when she gets a shower, I said, "or if there is fecal matter on them, right?".  She said, yes right.  

Also, it shouldn't even happen.  We have hundreds of 30" x 30" bed pads, thanks to hospice over-ordering them.  Her old place always always had one on her bed.  I'm desperate for them to use up these pads, since they are clogging her storage.  

Snap.  I'm done with this place.  

I toured one of the other nursing homes in town, a nice bright one, warm and friendly, and considerably cheaper.  Respectful of residents.  Surely not perfect, but ....  I believe it will be a vast improvement. Her name went on the waiting list today. 

It's funny, I'm a practical woman.  If only her existing place was a great bargain - I could put up with feces on the sheets maybe, or slow service, or pee left in the bedside commode, or my having to remind them about every little thing.  But ... not at premium prices.  Nuh uh.  

Snap.  The straw just broke the camel's back, and I can't wait to pull the trigger.  I'm done. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How frustrating for you! I'm sure you did the right thing here. Your mother is fortunate to have you for a daughter. I hope the other nursing home works out much better than this one did. Good luck!