Saturday, February 26, 2011

New hope, but with reality

Mom and I are both eager to get her in the new facility. It looks wonderful, peaceful, friendly, caring, competent.  The best recommendation is a hospice nurse who gave it HIGH marks ... and she knows the place well as well as seeing the real life there.

She gets to move in early, this Friday Mar 4.  Her room will be quite close to the center, limiting the amount she has to walk.  She goes back to a small apartment vs a glorified hospital room, though we need to go retrieve some of the furniture that we distributed.  It will be so much better.

But I also know there will be problems.  Mom will have problems adjusting.  They will make errors, and we need to anticipate a certain amount of imperfection.  It more than doubles my commute to see my mother in my usual daily trips, and I'm not sure whether I may just need to beg off occasionally.

We can be excited, happy, relieved... but we can't expect an idyllic situation free of any frustrations. Realistic, but content.  Sounds good to me.

No comments: