Monday, March 14, 2011

Settling in, both of us

Mom is settled in, and truly content.  She is being taken care of, the aides are helpful and positive, and the residents are friendly.  Mom actually has actually engaged in some activities, and enjoyed them!  The food is good, life is peaceful. 

During this past week, each day I've brought more things - purchases, or, from my garage, things that I'd earlier removed when she moved to the smaller space in the nursing home.  I've been putting up pictures, arranging clothes.  My sister came to visit, and we found a used dresser for her clothes.  I really think she's 90%  'done'.  

Of course, she constantly says she's about to die, as she's said for three years.  "Don't buy that large package of batteries - just the four-pack - since I won't be around long enough."  She resisted buying a dresser.  

But overall, she is content with her home.  

And I'm going to start taking a couple days off each week from visiting her.  Today I have all day at home for my own needs (prepping my house to sell it as soon as we can get it ready).  And I know she'll be OK.  That feels stupendous.  A day without a "Mom Run".  Taking care of myself.  Cool. 

No comments: