Saturday, March 5, 2011

A Disney day

Today feels like a true Disney day.  The sun is shining, the birds are singing, all's right with the world - with a nod to Robert Browning as well.

Yesterday, the day was dismal - rainy, cold, lightning and thunder.  I had acute bronchitis, with a spot on my lung that looked like possible pneumonia.  I had chills, fever.  My doctor warned me to stay away from my mother and go home to bed. 

But it was move day.  Nuh uh, doc.  Gotta go.  

Equipped with hand sanitizer and, yes, a mask, I went to work.  Got her physically moved with a few essentials (sheets, blanket, her nightgown, cookies, walker and wheelchair), before lunch.  Hospice moved in the hospice bed and her oxygen. 

Then went home to wait for the second shift.  

My son Kelly and his brother-in-law Chad came at 6:15 that evening.  Put a few things in the truck from my home (bouncing some things back to her that she'd already passed to me).  Then, off to the old place to pack up and move her things.  We got to the new place about 8:45 to find her in bed.  After we unloaded, I whirled around, got things out of boxes and set them out - just out, anywhere.  

She looked so peaceful and content, happy to have a safe space. A home.  And now, her move complete, I can stay home until I'm better and not contagious. 

Today, the sun is shining, the birds are singing, all's right with the world.  

No comments: