Friday, March 18, 2011

My brother is irritated with me - but let's not talk about it!

When we were moving Mom a couple moves ago, I had prepared a lot of her apartment for the move to the nursing home.  I had spent many hours sorting through her things, planning and anticipating the move.  My brother happened to have a business trip here, so happily for all of us, he could help; my sister and her husband were coming down from Iowa. So, we were all there to do the sorting and cleaning out and clearing out. Great. It was a LOT of work - furniture and mementos and clothing and hospice supplies, photos and things both precious and trash-able. A lot of work for a short weekend, and three older adults plus two spouses.

And just to give context, I'll remind you I'm a daughter.  Not the golden son, oh no, I am the daughter.  And I'm the middle child.

In the course of the move, my sister and I noticed that my brother was irritated.

Let's just say that he is used to being Mr Male, Mr In-Charge.

Ummmm..... so am I, except substitute "Ms".  I've managed large and complex projects and high-level work teams in my corporate life, all before I retired.  So, I'm really OK with managing things - I was not fluttering around, all confused and silly, "Oh my I wish there were a MAN here to guide me!"  I am not an insane control freak, but I knew what had to be done, and I knew our resources and time, and I was somewhat directive.

Anyway...  at some point, I'd asked the guys to do something, and my brother just got really tense.

My husband said that my brother made some comment about trying to be accepting.  And my brother has been tense ever since. Somewhat.  Except of course he doesn't really say anything directly.  Just curt, just tiny rudeness. Wisps of smoke, not full flames. I won't bother relating the curt email he sent after ignoring my three weeks' worth of emails.

Oh well.  I'm here, doing my thing.  It's easy for him to want to waltz in every 2-3 months and be Mr In-Charge, but here, life is going on without him.  And we're really very OK.  But it puts a distance between him and me.  And I'm tired of being the one to make peace since I actually feel like putting a bit of fuel on that fire.  So, I'll just let him be the way he is.  And it will go away eventually, yet another wound that only partially heals, waiting for the next cut. Just like my entire history of my life growing up in this family.

My father and my sister had a conversation about me, many years ago.  He literally said, "Nancy and I have a great relationship - we don't talk".  My sister was flabbergasted that he so clearly articulated the matter.  That he was, apparently, so very aware.  And - my brother believes we had a perfect childhood, and aspires to be my father.  I believe he has, for the most part, achieved his goal.

No comments: