Monday, March 29, 2010

Glass half-full

I took my mother to her hometown, Topeka, Kansas, last Saturday - about 1.5 hour drive.  We visited her best friend from childhood, Mayme, who is still living there.  They delight to see each other, and laugh over their history, talk about names and stories from long ago.  Plus, Mayme tells me things like the fact that my mother was always late as a young woman - a fact that delights me when I am (too often) late arriving at my impatient mother's home.

I adore Mayme. I admire Mayme.  I enjoy Mayme.

This visit, my mother was in a wheelchair.  Mayme has difficulty with her knees, but gets around slowly without even a cane.  Mayme still lives in the same house as she has since I was a child and our families visited and we played in the park across the street.  We lunched, drove around the old neighborhood, and visited Mayme's husband.

Mayme's husband had a stroke some time ago, and is now in full-time nursing care, beginning to experience dementia as well.  Mayme visits him every single day, though she has no car.  She has a taxi come for her each afternoon, and gets home the same way after her husband goes to sleep. During her time there, she fixes his bed 'just right' after the aides get him into his wheelchair for a few hours.  She fusses with him, talks to him, or just reads.  She said that when she goes home each evening and reads some more, she can feel his presence in 'his chair' on the other side of the fireplace.

But - Mayme always has a positive attitude.  Always. She finds it. She fights for it.

She is grateful.

She giggles.

She is eager to see what's next, what's new, what's interesting.  She is curious.

Though she is 89, with many many challenges, yet she finds joy in each day. And, I believe, she will continue thus for some time.  Her glass will always be half-full - at least.

No comments: