Sunday, March 14, 2010

An anniversary for me

Two years ago today (Mar 14 2008) was my last day in my corporate job.  I took a voluntary layoff to give me time to support my mother as well as to enlarge my time with my volunteer work and to escape frustrations of corporate life.

What a change.  I can't believe it's been two years.  Feels like six months, maybe a year.  But I haven't missed the 11:30 PM texts from my boss or long hours or stress.  And it's been nice to have a schedule that allows me to visit mom, as well as to live a life more in synch with my personal values and passions.

And while my income has been cut to about 20% - 25% of what it was before, the enjoyment of my life has been so much richer.  More meaningful.  I miss the financial security, but that can't possibly buy my life now.  Not by a long shot.

My mother had moved to her assisted living facility nearby about six months before I was laid off, so that means she has been here 2 1/2 years.  Wow.  I honestly thought she could only survive three, maybe six months at the time, due to her confusion and frailness.  She has stabilized - gotten much worse in some ways, gotten more stable in others - and my own awareness of how much someone can endure has deepened.

My support of her has gotten easier now in many ways, compared to that first year.  The many tasks associated with 'taking over' her life have dissipated - the facility orders and administers her medicines, hospice helps with many medical needs and supplies.  The business matters have reduced greatly - just a few bills to pay monthly, a monthly fax to insurer, occasional visits with financial guy, doing her taxes each year. Now it's the small daily things - pick up a bulb for the night light and yogurt, put on her toilet paper roll the way she likes.  Doctor's visits. And I'll admit there is some filing and some things that are yet to do.  But honestly, looking back two years at the blog, I can see the improvement in my situation - now. It's been a long haul but, yes, it gets better.

No comments: