Thursday, January 27, 2011

Persistently Positive battles Deeply Depressed

I'll just start out by admitting I can be obnoxiously positive.  It has served me well in my life, to seek out the life-view that is hopeful, expecting good things.  I don't welcome negativity or hopelessness.  Maybe it's because I lived in a profoundly depressed state for about a decade, receiving professional help.  I dug myself out of that grim time by forcing myself to seek life and health even in tiny bites, tiny steps. Little by little, I'm doing really well for a decade now.  There it is, I've admitted it (in this public blog that perhaps no one even reads... like screaming one's secrets in an empty forest).

So, returning to Mom's move to the nursing home...  I terribly depressed.  I know this feeling, and I don't like it.

My sister told me she is also feeling this awful sadness.  So, I may be sad but I'm not crazy!  (smiling...)

Why is this overwhelming my positivity?

I think it's because the situation just ... merits sadness.  It's a sad thing.  It's a really really sad thing, to acknowledge that my mother needs skilled nursing care. That she is 'disappearing', now even more so, fitting her life into a shared hospital room basically.

I will go see her today to pack some things, in anticipation of her being admitted tomorrow morning.  Her official move day, tomorrow.

Up til now, I've been obnoxiously positive to her, helping her view the change as a good thing, that she will be fine, that she will make a new home there and be happy.  But, I will also tell her how sad I am to her.  I will tell her I've been crying for her loss.  Then I will warn her that I will continue to be positive, confident that she WILL find contentment there. And I do believe that.

Still, it's just so deeply sad.

No comments: