Monday, February 15, 2010

I kinda like those old folks

I must say that I rather enjoy being around the old folks in mom's assisted living center.  A few are just too far inside to reach, but most are reachable in some way.  It's kinda cute to see the parade of folks with walkers, trying to make fun 'crashing' into each other, talking about putting on their blinkers as they pass on the left, etc.  There's Dean and Bob and Lois and Margaret; Evelyn, Betty and some nameless ones.  Elegant and outspoken Mildred and her feisty friend Geraldine.

I always try to speak to each one, whether they respond or not; most do.  I have a bright smile and they seem happy to see me.  I want to show personal friendly interest in each one - I think it helps my mom, too, when she is rude or abrupt.  Maybe they'll be more forgiving of her attitudes if they remember her daughter is nice to them.

When I've come in to teach a genealogy event, we get few attendees but they are eager to talk about what they've done and where they've been.  It's been nice to hear their stories, though sad to know that their own families may not care much.

I've overheard them talk about me (there are no secrets in nursing care as too-loud voices carry), and they say nice things that make me feel good. It's an easy crowd to please - an ego-boost!

There's something about really looking into their eyes, with a smile and a greeting and sometimes a conversation.  I used to be like most, looking beyond them, a little nervously, a bit uncomfortable.  But now I'm enjoying my little visits with 'the ladies' and the men there.  

No comments: