Saturday, January 14, 2012

Disappearing ... both of us?

Mom, disappearing ... the theme of this blog. I would like to revisit this theme, if you don't mind. 

Since my mother will be moving to my brother's in a few months, I am conscious of the need to clean out some detritus, especially in organizing, clarifying and purging old business papers. And when she moves, she will not have her bed or other equipment that belong to hospice here, and will receive same down in New Mexico when she arrives, from their hospice service.  She has said she doesn't need the television ("I can't see it!") or much of other furniture.  Her footprint, her presence, shrinks even more, as she awaits death with hunger. 

Yet, with my own move to Peru on the approaching horizon, I am finding my own life-footprint has dramatically reduced. Instead of my 5-level 4-bedroom 3-bath house, I am in a small apartment (and LOVING it). Instead of an office overflowing with paperwork, we are constrained to a few plastic tubs, and trying to scan ourselves down to almost nothing. Instead of a cherry dining room table seating 10-12, we eat on a card table.  And we are LOVING it! 

We have divested ourselves of most of our family heirlooms, either by giving them to willing descendants or where none exists, to friends who will treasure them and the stories we've shared about the pieces. When we actually leave the apartment, what remains will go the way of the other ones.  We have given away sterling silver flatware, serving dishes.  Limoges china. Antique hand-painted teacups. Linens. Rocking chairs and china cabinets. Photographs. Recipe boxes from long ago. Damask tablecloths and handmade aprons. A thousand little treasures that I enjoyed seeing, touching, to a point ... but that I rarely used, and that buried me under the weight of other people's lives. 

Ten, twenty years ago, I treasured these things. Now they choke me. I drown in their shadows. 

In a sense, yes, I might be said to also be disappearing, in the sense of the detritus attached to us is dropping away. We are less 'significant' in the sense of our perceived stability, or our being Owners of Important Stuff in this world. 

Instead, I feel a thousand pounds lighter. I feel like I can sprout wings and fly. Free of obligation to sit at the Altar of Ancestors, holding onto their things. Soon, we will be down to our two suitcases, flying to Peru, awaiting an unparalleled adventure.  

Even if we have to come back to the USA, eventually I don't think we'll miss all the stuff. Meantime, I will look forward to growing old in the Andes, overlooking an unimaginably beautiful vista, helping others and growing old in peace with incredible richness of life. 

My mother's slow disappearance is inevitable. Mine is more abrupt, more by choice, and I am utterly thrilled. 

3 comments:

Robin G said...

Nancy

You're not disappearing as much as rising from the ashes. Now there's more of you and less of the walls built around you.

Robin

NancyG said...

Thanks, Robin. I really really appreciate your kind response.

When I post things like that, I'm acutely aware that my eagerness to 'get outta Dodge' may make me seem quite unsympathetic, when compared to the many very generous souls who are tirelessly caring for parents who themselves have been wonderful giving folks all their lives. To these caregivers, I offer my applause and deepest DEEPEST respect. And I feel like I'm betraying the club. Or that I'm less of a good person.

But since I started the blog, I may as well be honest, eh?

And, there are unspoken rationales that, to me, justify my decisions. But I don't always feel like it's necessary to over-explain or justify myself. My posts are already overly long, I suspect. And I am not seeking people's approval (though of course that's always a nice-to-have) nor their forgiveness (which is irrelevant). Just sharing where I am, in case anyone finds it interesting.

ANYWAY.... thanks for your kind and merciful reaction. Yes, the walls are coming down. I don't need Stuff to keep me safe and happy. "Rising from the ashes" ... I like that! Thanks again and again.

Alana said...

Everything you are and that makes you important is inside you. And all the "things" that tie you to your mother (and other ancestors) live in your heart.
Congratulations to you for clearing the view to the truly meaningful in your life!
(And thanks for your kinds comment on my blog!)
Alana
www.dementiadays.com