Saturday, January 14, 2012

Dementia, and a wonderful blog post

I found a touching blog post on a lovely blog, Dementia Days.

There is a video there, at http://www.dementiadays.com/2010/07/a-video-worth-watching/, of a lovely example of Validation Therapy, working with an advanced Alzheimer's patient. It was so touching.

Though my mother doesn't have Alzheimer's, it is a great example of respecting an elders' boundaries, while still using their 'vocabulary' and being present for their reactions, even when their apparent cognitive abilities have disappeared.

Beautiful. Please explore the other posts in the blog.  It's lovely.

4 comments:

Robin G said...

Heart wrenching and lovely at the same time.

Robin G said...

Nancy

Been reading through your blog since I had a stressful day with my mom. Did you leave a review of the first nursing home someplace, so someone like me can have an idea, when it's my turn to look for a place? I know we're getting closer, but people don't leave reviews (on Angie's List, on other sites, etc) so it's hard to figure out.

Robin G

NancyG said...

Hi Robin. Actually, I never did leave a comment or a review anywhere. I am usually one to do that kind of thing, but I think I was so angry at the time, I couldn't do it sanely. But since then, I learned that my favorite aide at the new place used to work at the old place, and she confirmed that they are a mess.

I'm not a member of Angie's List.

You're absolutely right, I should leave a review somewhere. Now where... ? Hmm.

Thanks for the suggestion. It's such a difficult task to find a good home, I think I owe it to the next family. Thanks.

NancyG said...

Done: http://maps.google.com/maps/place?cid=3814923100514449225&hl=en