Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Wrapping up the story, Part One: The Move

It has now been almost a month since I brought my mother to New Mexico to live with my brother Bob.  I made some notes at the time of things I wanted to mention here, but only now do I have the energy and perspective to wrap up this story, our story.  I think this will have to continue across several blog posts, but if you will bear with me, I promise to bring us to a conclusion.

As we neared the departure date, there was much to do. Mom's business papers - I had to prepare them and organize them to handoff to Bob.  Changing addresses, contacting businesses to update them.  Bank accounts, investment accounts.  Create legal means to give my brother the Power of Attorney.  Extensive work to arrange rental of a Portable Oxygen Concentrator (POC) to allow her to have oxygen while on the airplane ($450!).  Working with our hospice hear to transfer her to care down there.  

Then there was attending to my mother's emotional needs.  She was pretty anxious, and I found myself constantly talking her down from a panic of one kind or another. She did alright, with time, but was very worried with all the uncertainty.  She thought she might "get lost" in Bob's house. What would she eat.  Would she be welcome. And so on. 

And there was packing up her apartment. 

The day came for the trip.  Overall, it went fine, but it was utterly exhausting for both of us.  I was pushing her wheelchair, juggling her purse and her (very heavy, bulky/awkward) POC, including trying to keep the battery conserved and plugged in, when possible, and then later changing the 10 pound battery mid-flight. When she needed to use the restroom in the airport, there was a long line, then the exhausting lifting her, changing the brief, convincing her to wash her hands.  By that time the plane was loading ... and there was the struggle to get her into the plane seat.  

By the time we got to Albuquerque, I nearly burst into tears with relief to see my brother and his wife. If there was a physical "key" to my mother's care, I could hand it to them and feel the weight off my shoulders. 

To be continued...

2 comments:

Robin G said...

Nancy

What a detailed and poignant description of the move.

I hope your story helps others understand the difficulties of moving an elderly parent.

mohlin said...

I thank you for your excellent writing and sharing. Good luck and Godspeed on your next adventure through life. I'll miss your stories.