Sunday, October 10, 2010

More Groundhog Days....

I keep on visiting.

Her toe hurts. Her toilet paper roll needs to be changed.  We chat about Evelyn's latest antics and forgetfulness.  I ask if Bob or Marilyn called, or if she's called Violet.

And we sit in some silence.

She does ask about me and my life at times, and I reply, but I need to be concise because she'll lose interest fairly quickly.  Her eyes glaze over a bit and she starts looking around.

She was very happy with the outcome of her 90th birthday.  She got some nice flowers and a stack of cards.  A few folks visited.  And the flowers are (most of them) still sitting on her desk, dead, but she wants them.  And the balloons in the mylar will stay up for about six months, and she'll leave them there I'm sure. Maybe I'll sneak a little air out each visit so she lets me clean them away.

She doesn't listen to the Books for the Blind tapes.  "Too much trouble" - though I've queued it up and all she has to do is lean slightly to her left and push the giant green button.  Too much trouble.

So she turns on TV and watches the Animal Planet or the Weather Channel or Dr Phil.  And waits for me to come visit so we can discuss her toe, or her toilet paper roll or Evelyn's antics.

Deja vu all over again.  Sigh.

No comments: